by Bob Stepno
The great radio soap operas
Author: Jim Cox
Publisher: Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland, ©1999.
Listening in : radio and the American imagination : from Amos ‘n’ Andy and Edward R. Murrow to Wolfman Jack and Howard Stern
Author: Susan J Douglas
Publisher: New York, N.Y. : Times Books, 1999.
On the air : the encyclopedia of old-time radio
Author: John Dunning
Publisher: New York : Oxford University Press, 1998.
Private Eyelashes: Radio’s Lady Detectives
Author: Jack French
Publisher: Boalsburg, PA : BearManor Media, 2004.
The Green Hornet : a history of radio, motion pictures, comics, and television
Author: Martin Grams; Terry G G Salomonson
Publisher: Churchville, MD : OTR Pub., ©2010.
Lux presents Hollywood : a show-by-show history of the Lux radio theatre and the Lux video theatre, 1934-1957, by Connie J. Billips & Arthur Pierce; Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co., 1995.
Radio drama : a comprehensive chronicle of American network programs, 1932-1962
Author: Martin Grams
Publisher: Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland, ©2000.
Radio’s America : the Great Depression and the rise of modern mass culture
Author: Bruce Lenthall
Publisher: Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2007.
Empire of the air : the men who made radio
Author: Tom Lewis
Publisher: New York : E. Burlingame Books, ©1991.
The A to Z of old time radio
Author: Robert C Reinehr; Jon David Swartz
Publisher: Lanham, MD : Scarecrow Press, 2010, ©2008.
Super heroes : a modern mythology
Author: Richard Reynolds
Publisher: Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, 1994.
Points on the dial : golden age radio beyond the networks
Author: Alexander Russo
Publisher: Durham, [N.C] : Duke University Press, 2010.
Handbook of old-time radio : a comprehensive guide to golden age radio listening and collecting
Author: Jon David Swartz; Robert C Reinehr
Publisher: Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1993.
Radio’s golden years : the encyclopedia of radio programs, 1930-1960
Author: Vincent Terrace
Publisher: San Diego : A.S. Barnes ; London : Tantivy Press, ©1981.
Martin Grams Jr.‘s blog and books on numerous old-time radio series
Jim Ramsburg’s GOldTime Radio, including details on ratings, sponsors, cast and networks, and his book Network Radio Ratings, 1932-1953: A History of Prime Time Programs Through The Ratings of Hooper, Crossley and Nielsen.
More sources of books and periodicals:
- See “Reference shelf” section of Museum of Broadcast Communications encyclopedia of radio
- The periodical archives, OTRRpedia and other resources at the Old Time Radio Researchers Group
- Scanned industry magazines and annuals at American Radio History
- Elizabeth McLeod’s Broadcast History Resources
- For newspaper stories to confirm or compare with various “true story” radio dramatizations, I rely heavily on Google’s newspaper archive, the Library of Congress Digital Newspaper Project and Chronicling America (1836-1922), NewspaperArchive.com collection, and various Proquest Historical Newspapers collections.